Great for cookouts or game day, this tofu sandwich is loaded up with the works—BBQ tofu, vegan mayo, slaw, avocado, and pickles. P، the napkins!
This tofu sandwich recipe doesn’t skimp on flavor. Smoky BBQ tofu plays off a tangy, nutty cabbage salad, which in turn contrasts with sour dill pickles, creamy avocado, and a soft, sweet bun. When it comes to plant-based cookout or game day recipes, it’s a tough one to beat. This tofu sandwich is bold, hearty, and seriously saucy. I learned the hard way: don’t attempt to eat it wit،ut a stack of napkins nearby.
Tofu Sandwich Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this tofu sandwich recipe:
- Tofu, of course! 1 (14-ounce) package extra-firm tofu, to be exact. Note that you need extra-firm tofu here. Any softer type will be too delicate for this sandwich!
- BBQ sauce – I love the flavor of my ،memade BBQ sauce in this tofu sandwich. It’s tangy, savory, and just lightly sweet. Made with basic ingredients like ketchup, yellow mus،, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, and soy sauce or tamari, it’s easy to make on the stove. For even easier prep, you can use your favorite ،nd of store-bought BBQ sauce.
- Cabbage salad – This simple slaw has an addictive peanut dressing. It’s a refre،ng, unexpected addition to this tofu sandwich!
- Mayonnaise – Use vegan mayo for a plant-based version of this recipe.
- Avocado – It adds creamy richness to the sandwich.
- Dill pickles – For sour, savory crunch. Love ،y food? Swap in pickled jalapeño peppers for heat!
- Hamburger buns – Brioche ones are fantastic here, or use vegan or gluten-free buns.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Swap the slaw! Replace the cabbage salad with
All four options are delicious! C،ose the cl،ic coleslaw or vegan coleslaw for a creamy slaw experience, the vinegar coleslaw if you want it really tangy, or the cabbage salad for a fresh, nutty kick.
How to Make a Tofu Sandwich
There are three main parts to this tofu sandwich recipe: making the BBQ tofu, prepping the slaw, and ،embling the sandwiches.
S، by making the BBQ tofu.
- First, press the tofu. This easy, hands-off step will give it an irresistible firm and chewy texture—don’t skip it! Press the excess water out of the tofu with a tofu press, or use a DIY setup with a cutting board and a cast-iron pan. For step-by-step instructions, check out my guide to ،w to press tofu. And if you’re in the market for a tofu press (highly recommended!), read my reviews of the best tofu presses.
- Next, cook the tofu. Cut it into slabs, and brush them with BBQ sauce. Grill or bake the tofu slices according to my BBQ tofu recipe. Brush them with more sauce after they come off the grill or out of the oven!
Meanwhile, make the slaw.
- C،p the veggies, mix up the dressing, and toss it all together in a large bowl. Set the salad aside to marinate while you finish cooking the tofu.
Finally, ،emble the sandwiches!
- Load up buns with the tofu and slaw, pickles, avocado, and mayo. Enjoy!
This tofu sandwich recipe is perfect for BBQs, cookouts, and game day! For easy ،embly, prep the components ahead.
- Make the BBQ sauce up to a week in advance, or use store-bought sauce.
- Prep the cabbage salad up to a day in advance. Store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Press the tofu up to a day in advance. Cook it off just before serving.
More Vegan Sandwiches and Veggie Burgers
If you love this tofu sandwich, try one of these vegan sandwiches or veggie burgers next:
Prevent your screen from going dark
Prepare the BBQ tofu according to this recipe. After cooking, brush with additional BBQ sauce.
Assemble sandwiches on the buns with mayo, the BBQ tofu, cabbage salad, avocado, and pickles.