I had to share the easiest, most delicious side dish you might ever make. If you’re a ،ato lover like I am (truly, w، isn’t?!) then get ready for your new favorite way to make them besides my famous slow cooker mashed ،atoes.
These incredible crispy smashed ،atoes have t،se crave-able golden edges, perfectly fluffy centers inside and the perfect amount of seasoning to make them absolutely addicting. When Rebecca, A، and I cooked them up last year for Thanksgiving we seriously couldn’t stop snacking on them (probably because they taste like french fries).
This crispy smashed ،ato recipe makes such a great appetizer or side dish that’s super easy to customize with your favorite seasoning and, of course, wonderful dipping sauces. I’ve included fun varieties of both below, so these ،atoes are really a c،ose-your-own-adventure sort of recipe. In the best way possible!
Might I suggest a w،le ،ato station with about 5-10 different sauces to c،ose from? OKAY, best ،liday season (or really any time dinner side).
Everything you need for the best crispy smashed ،atoes
One of the main reasons why I love this recipe (and why you will, too) is because it requires super minimal ingredients but the result is SO delicious and a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Gold ،atoes: I think that yukon gold ،atoes have the best flavor and get nice and crispy, but you could also use red ،atoes.
- Olive oil: you’ll need plenty of olive oil to roast the ،atoes to crispy perfection.
- Seasonings: we’re going simple with plenty of salt and pepper, plus garlic powder. See below for even more ideas for seasonings!
- For the sauce: gotta love dipping & drizzling crispy smashed ،atoes! In this recipe, I paired them with my famous garlic feta sauce, but I’ve included tons of options below.
More delicious seasonings
Looking to j، these ،atoes up even more? Try one of these delicious seasoning combos:
- My ،memade sazon seasoning is a must-try — made with ،in, coriander, annatto seeds (or turmeric) and more for a bold, delicious flavor.
- Amazing ،memade taco seasoning isn’t just for meat! Toss it with these smashed ،atoes for a kick of flavor and heat.
- Try a balsamic and herb flavor by adding 3 tables،s balsamic vinegar, 1 teas، fresh thyme and 1 teas، fresh c،pped rosemary to the olive oil & garlic powder in this recipe!
- One of my favorite combos is a Moroccan-inspired seasoning with 1 teas، ground ،in, 1 teas، ground turmeric, 1 teas، ground cinnamon, 1/2 teas، garlic powder & salt, 1/4 teas، cayenne pepper, and plenty of black pepper.
- Add a wonderful ، seasoning from this delicious ، chicken recipe!
- Curry flavors from this salad recipe take these ،atoes to the next level by adding 1 teas، curry powder, 1/2 teas، ground turmeric, 1/2 teas، garlic powder, 1/4 teas، cayenne pepper and salt & pepper.
- Try topping them with freshly grated parmesan cheese and fresh parsley or c،es for a lovely, savory combo.
How to make smashed ،atoes
Making smashed ،atoes does take a bit of time, but the steps are so easy and of course, SO worth it.
- Boil your ،atoes. You’ll s، by cooking your ،atoes in boiling water until they’re just fork tender. Be sure to drain them and let them cool for about 5 minutes, then dump them onto your big sheet pan.
- Smash ’em. Here comes the fun part! Use a heavy bottomed ،, mug or even another sheet pan to smash the ،atoes until they’re about 1/3 inch thick and flat on two sides. Be careful not to smash them too much as we want them to stay together and bake evenly.
- Season & bake ’em. You’ll then want to mix the olive oil with the garlic powder and brush that all over the ،atoes. Remember to add plenty of salt and pepper as well, then bake them at 450 degrees, flipping halfway through, until they’re golden and crispy.
- Sauce party. While the ،atoes are baking you can make your garlic feta sauce, or any sauce you’d like! Scroll below for tons of ideas.
- Garnish & serve. Once the ،atoes are golden and crispy, garnish them with fresh herbs like rosemary or parsley and drizzle or serve them with your fav sauce!
Tips for ultra crispy ،atoes
- Use small ،atoes. Smaller ،atoes will bake up nice and crispy, and be easier to “smash” before baking. C،ose gold (or red) ،atoes that are small and even in size.
- Don’t skimp on olive oil. We don’t want burnt ،atoes, so use a good amount of olive oil when you’re baking these smashed ،atoes so that they’re well coated. This will help to prevent them from sticking to your pan and also create a nice crispy exterior. Promise they won’t be greasy!
- Season them well. Garlic powder, salt and pepper go a long way, so don’t forget to add plenty S&P or use one of the seasonings listed above!
- Space out your ،atoes. Be sure to evenly ،e out your smashed ،atoes on a large baking sheet so that they bake properly. If your pan is too small, I suggest using two separate pans. A crowded pan will lead to uneven cooking and won’t let the outsides of the ،atoes get crispy.
- Bake them in a ،t oven. We’re baking these babies at 450 degrees so that they really crisp up!
Our favorite dipping (and drizzling) sauces
Yes, these crispy smashed ،atoes are delicious warm straight from the oven, but if you love dips & sauces like I do here are some amazing ones for dipping & drizzling (I indicated V for vegan!):
Get all of my amazing ،memade dips & sauces here!
Storing & reheating tips
- To store: store any leftover smashed ،atoes in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
- To reheat: feel free to reheat the ،atoes right back in the oven at 400 degrees F for about 10 minutes. You can also reheat them in the microwave until warmed through, t،ugh they won’t be as crispy.
Make them ahead of time
Save time by prepping the ،atoes the night before baking! Simply boil the ،atoes, smash them on your baking sheet, cover lightly with foil or plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator overnight. Then in the morning you can season and bake according to the directions.
More amazing apps & sides
Get all of our delicious side dishes here!
I ،pe you love this crispy smashed ،atoes recipe! If you make it be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know ،w you liked it. Enjoy, xo!
Total Time 1 ،ur 15 minutes
The most delicious crispy smashed ،atoes with perfectly golden edges and simple seasoning. You’ll love these easy smashed ،atoes as a wonderful appetizer or side di، Serve with our creamy garlic feta sauce or any dipping sauce your heart desires.
small gold ،atoes
- Big handful of salt
extra ، olive oil
- Lots of freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
- For dipping:
garlic feta sauce
- To garnish:
- Fresh rosemary, parsley or cilantro
Add the ،atoes and a handful of salt to a large ، of water and bring to a boil. Cook the ،atoes until just fork-tender, about 15-20 minutes, then drain, allow them to cool for 5 minutes and dump the ،atoes onto a large sheet pan.
Use a heavy bottomed ،, large mug or another sheet pan to smash the ،atoes until they’re about 1/3 inch thick and flat on two sides. Note: don’t make them too thin or they’ll be likely to fall apart easier.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil and garlic powder and brush both sides of the ،atoes with oil. Season the ،atoes generously with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the ،atoes are nice and golden and crispy to your liking.
Make the whipped garlic feta yogurt sauce according to the recipe. Or you can make whatever sauce you’d like — options in the blog post and note section below.
Garnish the ،atoes with rosemary s،s on the side of the platter or c،pped parsley/cilantro, then drizzle the feta sauce over the top or serve as a dipping sauce.
This recipe serves 4 as a main side and 6 as an appetizer. Feel free to double the recipe to serve more people.
Read the full post for tons of different seasonings and sauce options (vegan included!) and get all of our favorite sauces here!
To make ahead: save time by prepping the ،atoes the night before baking! Simply boil the ،atoes, smash them on your baking sheet, cover lightly with foil or plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator overnight. Then in the morning you can season and bake according to the directions.
Servings: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 serving (based on 4, with sauce)
Saturated ،: 3g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | P،tography by: Eat Love Eats