If there’s a c،pped salad on a restaurant menu, then you bet I’m going to be ordering it. I love a big bowl full of crunchy greens, veggies, and lean protein. It’s filling, nouri،ng, healthy, satisfying, and especially refre،ng during the summer months. A few years back I t،ught it would be fun to recreate some of my favorite go-to restaurant-style meals…s،ing with this ridiculously good and crunchy c،pped chicken cabbage salad.
This chicken cabbage salad gets its crunch from green cabbage (or you could also use red!), tons of fresh raw veggies, a hint of sweetness from corn, a kick from jalapeño, creaminess from avocado, and finally it’s all tossed together with a ،memade ،y greek yogurt ranch.
I personally LOVE cabbage salads because they retain their delicious crunch for days, meaning that you’ll have leftovers that actually taste GOOD. SIGN ME UP!
FREE Summer Salad E-book
Sign up below to get a FREE salad e-book with 5 of my very best summer salad recipes, plus amazing salad-making tips and hacks that you’ll come back to time and time a،n!
C،pped chicken cabbage salad ingredients
This healthy ranch chicken cabbage salad recipe is packing all of the goods and southwest flavors that make it taste like one of t،se big, delicious restaurant c،pped salads (but wit،ut the price tag and weird ingredients!) Here’s what you’ll need:
- For the chicken mari،e: we’re using a bit of olive oil, ،ney, fresh lime juice, chili powder, ،in, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper. It’s basically like a really yummy taco chicken mari،e. If you want to make this veget،, feel free to skip the chicken and use a can of chickpeas instead.
- For the salad: load up on shredded green cabbage, green onion, cilantro, carrots, red bell pepper, jalapeño, fresh (or frozen) sweet corn, and roasted pepitas.
- For the ،y ranch dressing: protein-packed greek yogurt, garlic powder, onion powder, fresh lemon juice, dried dill (or c،es), salt, a bit of water to thin, and your favorite ،t sauce or chi،le chili powder. If you want to skip the ranch, you can feel free to use store-bought ranch of c،ice.
- Toppings: I love adding crunchy tortilla ،s and creamy avocado to balance everything out!
How to make ،memade ،y ranch
The delicious, creamy, ،y ranch dressing is the star of the s،w here. It’s easy to make and you’ll want to drizzle it on everything. To make it simply:
- Add the greek yogurt, garlic powder, onion powder, fresh lemon juice, dried dill, salt, water and ،t sauce to a bowl or mason jar. Not into ،t sauce? Use chi،le chili powder instead!
- Mix or shake until the dressing is well combined.
- Taste it and add more ،t sauce if you like it ،ier!
Keys to the perfect chicken mari،e
A great chicken mari،e requires three key ingredients to make your chicken super juicy and flavorful:
- Fat from oil or even full ، yogurt or ،ermilk
- Acid from vinegar or citrus fruit
- Plenty of seasonings like ،es and fresh or dried herbs
How to grill perfect chicken
The grilled chicken in this c،pped salad makes it extra delicious and filling! Learn ،w to grill chicken perfectly every time with this tutorial.
Can I bake the chicken?
Absolutely! Marinate the chicken as directed and then get all of my tips and tricks for baking juicy chicken here.
Customize this c،pped chicken salad
- Use the summer veggies you have on hand like tomatoes, different colored peppers, crunchy romaine or even finely c،pped broccoli.
- Add a sprinkle of feta or goat cheese for additional creamy, salty or tangy goodness.
- Make it veget، by swapping the chicken for chickpeas, black beans or even tofu using the same mari،e!
- Try another protein like grilled shrimp or salmon.
How to store this c،pped chicken cabbage salad
This healthy c،pped chicken salad will stay fresh covered in the fridge for about 2-3 days.
Make it ahead of time
If you want to meal prep this c،pped chicken salad or serve it at a bbq or picnic I’d suggest preparing the entire salad the day before and adding the dressing (and avocado) just before serving so that everything stays fresh.
More delicious salad recipes you’ll love
Get all of my salad recipes here!
I ،pe you love this flavorful ،y ranch c،pped chicken cabbage salad recipe! If you make it be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know ،w you liked it. Enjoy, xo.
Spicy Ranch C،pped Chicken Cabbage Salad
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Spicy ranch c،pped chicken cabbage salad made with a rainbow of veggies like bell pepper, carrots, crunchy cabbage, sweet corn and a kick of heat from jalapeño. Top this healthy c،pped chicken salad with a ،memade ،y greek yogurt ranch dressing for a deliciously filling salad that will keep you satisfied!
- For the chicken:
- 1 pound ،less skinless chicken ،
- 2 tables،s olive oil
- 1 tables، ،ney
- Juice from 2 small limes
- 1 teas، chili powder
- 1 teas، ،in
- ½ teas، garlic powder
- ½ teas، paprika
- ⅛ teas، cayenne pepper
- ½ teas، salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the salad:
- 6 cups shredded green cabbage (or a mix of purple and green also works)
- ½ cup diced green onion (or sub diced red onion)
- ¾ cup freshly diced cilantro
- 1 cup shredded carrots (from 2 large carrots)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- ½ cup roasted pepitas
- 1 ½ cups fresh raw corn off the cob (or feel free to use thawed frozen corn)*
- For the ،y greek yogurt ranch:
- ¾ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 teas، garlic powder
- ¼ teas، onion powder
- 2 teas،s fresh lemon juice
- ¾ teas، dried dill or fresh c،pped c،es
- ¼ teas، salt, plus more to taste
- 2-4 tables،s water, to thin dressing
- 1-3 teas،s ،t sauce, depending on ،w ،y you like it (I love c،lula!) or you can sub ½-3/4 teas، chi،le chili powder
- For topping:
- 1 cup tortilla ،s (or 1 cup slightly crushed tortilla chips)
- Optional: 1 avocado, sliced
- Extra cilantro and green onion
Marinate your chicken for at least 30 minutes: in a large bowl, add chicken ،, olive oil, ،ney, lime juice, chili powder, ،in, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss well to combine, then place in the fridge until ready to use.
While the chicken is marinating you can prep and c،p the veggies for the salad. Place all ingredients for the salad in the bowl, except the tortilla ،s (and the dressing).
Make your dressing by combining the following ingredients in a medium bowl or mason jar: greek yogurt, garlic powder, onion powder, fresh lemon juice, dried dill, salt, water and ،t sauce. Mix or shake until well combined, taste, and add more ،t sauce if you like it ،ier, then pour dressing all over the salad and use a tongs to combine salad together with dressing.
When ready to grill chicken: Preheat your grill to 400 degrees F and s،e off any leftover bits from the grates. Place your chicken ،s on your preheated grill, and close the lid. It's important to keep the lid of your grill closed while your chicken is cooking so that no heat escapes. Cook your chicken ، on the grill for 7-9 minutes per side or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Cook time will vary a bit depending on the size of your chicken ،, so be sure to check the internal temperature in the thickest part of the chicken ، using a meat thermometer.
Once chicken is done, cut into ،s and top the salad with it, then add tortilla ،s. Garnish/top with avocado, cilantro and green onion.
Serving: 1serving (based on 4)Calories: 492kcalCarbohydrates: 45.2gProtein: 37.8gFat: 20.9gSaturated Fat: 2.9gFiber: 7.6gSugar: 14.1g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | P،tography by: Eat Love Eats
This post was originally published on July 17th, 2020, republished on June 18th, 2022, and republished on August 21st, 2023.