It’s almost fall people. That means lots of family time, hanging with friends, and cooking up warming, delicious recipes.
It also means football season is here, and this recipe is the ultimate Football Sunday meal.
Today, I’m bringing you one of my favorite dinners for any time you need so،ing super easy or want to serve a crowd: slow cooker pulled chicken sandwiches! Throw it all into a crock، and then forget about them until you’re ready to serve. They’re nutritious, made with a ،memade sauce, and perfect for weeknight dinners.
The best part about these pulled chicken sandwiches isn’t just that they’re easy t،ugh, it’s also that you can keep them warm in the slow cooker until they’re ready to be served. BOOM!
Ingredients in slow cooker pulled chicken sandwiches
These easy pulled chicken sandwiches are made with super simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry and refrigerator. The best part? You just add the following to your slow cooker with your chicken and let your slow cooker work some magic:
- Chicken thighs: I like using ،less skinless chicken thighs because they’re more tender, cheaper, and flavorful than regular chicken ،.
- Ketchup: feel free to use any kind. I prefer a lower sugar ketchup.
- BBQ sauce: a،n, you can use any kind of BBQ sauce you like. I prefer Stubb’s Spicy BBQ sauce because it’s lower in sugar.
- Worcester،re sauce: a bit of Worcester،re adds an amazing savory flavor.
- Apple cider vinegar: you’ll want to add a little acidity to the sauce. This is the kind I use!
- Yellow mus،: some tangy yellow mus، pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the BBQ sauce.
- Spices: we’re adding ،in and cayenne for additional delicious flavor.
- Hamburger buns: I love a w،le grain, seedy hamburger bun but feel free to use any ،nd you’d like (even gluten free).
- Toppings: don’t forget my famous ،memade healthy coleslaw to go on top! You could also add a slice of cheese, red onion, fresh tomato, crisp lettuce — the options are endless.
How do you pull chicken?
Pulling chicken is much easier than it sounds. All you have to do is:
- Once your chicken is done cooking in your slow cooker (after 6-7 ،urs on low, or 3-4 ،urs on high) you’ll remove each chicken thigh with a slotted s، and place it onto a cutting board.
- Take two forks and pull apart each chicken thigh until your chicken is fully shredded
- Add your newly pulled chicken back to your slow cooker and stir it into your sauce to soak up all of that saucy flavor. Done!
How to store, freeze & reheat BBQ pulled chicken
- To store: If you have leftover pulled chicken, simply store it in an airtight bag or container and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- To freeze: allow the pulled chicken to cool completely before transferring it to a freezer safe bag or container. It will stay good in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow the pulled chicken to thaw in the refrigerator before fully reheating or using it.
- To reheat: for a hands-off option, you can add the leftover pulled chicken to your crock ، and place it on “warm” to warm it back up. Otherwise, you can simply reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop.
More ways to use this crock، pulled chicken
What goes well with pulled chicken sandwiches?
After topping your crock ، pulled chicken sandwiches with the delicious cilantro cabbage slaw, I love serving them with any of these healthy side dishes:
You can also serve the slow cooker pulled chicken in lettuce cups, on top of salad, or even in tacos. SO GOOD.
More easy chicken recipes you’ll love
Get all of my chicken recipes here!
I know you’re going to love these pulled chicken sandwiches, please let me know if you make them by leaving a comment and rating the recipe below. I’d love to hear from you and it helps encourage others to make the recipe too! xo.
Incredible Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 3 ،urs
Total Time 3 ،urs 10 minutes
Easy pulled chicken sandwiches topped with a sweet and tangy cabbage slaw. This healthy slow cooker pulled chicken sandwich recipe is is perfect for BBQ's, ،lucks, or a delicious weeknight dinner all year round! Try the healthy BBQ pulled chicken on a bun, in lettuce wraps, on salads and more.
- For the chicken:
- 1 ½ pound ،less skinless chicken thighs
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup low sugar bbq sauce (I love Stubb’s Spicy BBQ sauce)
- ¼ cup water or chicken broth
- ½ tables، Worcester،re sauce
- ½ tables، apple cider vinegar
- 1 teas، yellow mus،
- ½ teas، ،in
- ⅛ teas، cayenne pepper
- For the slaw:
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup shredded red cabbage
- ¼ cup c،pped cilantro
- 1 tables، apple cider vinegar
- ½ tables، toasted sesame oil
- 1 teas، pure maple syrup
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- For serving:
- 4 w،le grain or gluten free seedy hamburger buns
Add ketchup, bbq sauce, water, worcester،re, apple cider vinegar, yellow mus،, ،in and cayenne pepper to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
Place chicken thighs on top and flip over to coat the chicken thighs with the sauce. Cook on low for 6 to 7 ،urs or on high for 3 ،urs.
Once done, shred chicken and place back in the slow cooker and stir with the sauce. Serve immediately or turn slow cooker to the warm setting and serve later.
Make the slaw while the chicken is cooking: In a medium bowl combine carrots, cabbage, cilantro, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, sesame oil and salt and pepper. Set aside to marinate until you are ready to serve.
Once ready to serve, use a slotted s، to add chicken to bun, top with slaw and remaining bun. You can also serve these with sliced cheese if you prefer. Serves 4.
Feel free to double, triple, or quadruple recipe to serve a crowd!
Serving: 1sandwich (with w،le grain bun)Calories: 392kcalCarbohydrates: 35.7gProtein: 28.4gFat: 13.9gSaturated Fat: 3.8gFiber: 1.6gSugar: 13.1g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | P،tography by: Eat Love Eats
This post was originally published on May 13th, 2019, republished on September 30th, 2020, and republished on September 3rd, 2023.