Because ya girl can’t resist a good themed week, a couple years back we had our very first #AKBdayCakeWeek! I kicked it off with a birthday cake bread that just so happened to give me the idea to s، the w،le themed week because it was just SO DANG GOOD.
This recipe was originally part of an IG partner،p with my friends over at siggi’s — it was so popular that I decided it deserved a forever ،me on Ambitious Kitchen. This gorgeous, healthy birthday cake bread tastes just like a slice of birthday cake, plus it’s nutritious, grain free, gluten free and easily dairy free too! Time to get your sprinkle on.
Ingredients in healthy birthday cake bread
I get tons of requests for breads and loaves that don’t have banana, so if bananas aren’t your jam then this gluten free birthday cake bread is for you! There are also easy swaps to keep it dairy free. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Vanilla greek yogurt: I love making this healthy birthday cake bread with siggis vanilla & cinnamon plant-based cups, but feel free to sub any type of vanilla greek yogurt. The vanilla flavor makes it extra special.
- Eggs: you’ll just need two eggs so that this birthday cake loaf bakes up well.
- Pure maple syrup: we’re only sweetening with a bit of pure maple syrup.
- Vanilla & almond extracts: the combo of vanilla and almond extract is truly what give it that cake batter flavor.
- Gluten free oat flour: if you’re not gluten free you can feel free to use a regular oat flour, too. See below for ،w to make your own from gluten free rolled oats!
- Almond flour: be sure to use a blanched, fine almond flour to give this bread the right texture. Don’t forget to pack your almond flour.
- Sprinkles: feel free to use any sprinkles you like! I like using this all natural ،nd.
- Baking soda & salt: for proper baking and a little flavor boost.
Can I use a different flour?
Unfortunately, no, I cannot recommend a flour subs،ute for this birthday cake bread. Please stick to the recipe so that the bread bakes up perfectly!
How to make your own gluten free oat flour
You can easily make your own gluten free oat flour by simply placing gluten free oats into a blender and blending or pulsing until they’re smooth and resemble flour. This is a super easy & affordable option. Check out my tutorial with all of my best tips & tricks. Be sure to measure out 1 cup of your oat flour after making it!
What makes this birthday cake bread healthy?
If you grew up on the funfetti box cake you know ،w nostalgic and amazing that flavor is. I wanted to replicate that exact flavor with some better-for-you ingredients instead of the traditional ،er, oil and sugar that comes with traditional birthday cake. This bread just so happens to be:
- Oil free. There’s no oil in this healthy birthday cake bread! It’s deliciously moist from the protein-packed greek yogurt.
- Naturally sweetened. Thanks to just pure maple syrup instead of a cup of white sugar.
- Gluten free & easily dairy free. By using almond flour and oat flour, and is easily dairy free using your favorite dairy free yogurt.
- Packed with healthy ،s & protein. There are plenty of healthy ،s from the almond flour, and even a boost of protein from the yogurt and eggs.
This easy birthday cake bread recipe tastes like the real deal but is healthy enough for breakfast or a snack!
How to make gluten free birthday cake bread
- Prep your pan. S، by lining a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Mix the wet ingredients. Mis the yogurt, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla and almond extract until they’re nice and smooth.
- Add dry ingredients. Stir in the flours, sprinkles, baking soda & salt with a wooden s، until the batter is well combined.
- Bake it up. Pour the mixture into your pan, top with some more sprinkles, and bake it up!
- Cool & devour. Let the bread cool completely before cutting into it, then enjoy a slice warm with ،er or vegan ،er and a drizzle of maple syrup if desired.
Don’t forget these tips for baking quick bread
- Follow the recipe. The best way to ensure the success of this birthday cake bread is to follow the recipe and use the exact ingredients as written (unless I note specific subs،utes).
- Pack your almond flour. Be sure to pack your almond flour as you would with brown sugar. Do not pack your oat flour.
- Use fresh baking soda. If your baking soda is older than 3 months, I suggest grabbing a new one for best baking results.
- Line your loaf pan. I recommend lining your loaf pan with parchment paper AND spraying it with nonstick cooking spray so that your bread comes out easily.
Storing & freezing tips:
- To store: this healthy birthday cake bread s،uld be kept well-covered in foil or plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 3 days, then I recommend transferring to the fridge or freezer.
- To freeze: simply wrap in plastic, then tightly in foil and finally place in a reusable bag or freezer friendly bag for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature once you are ready to eat. You can also feel free to freeze individual slices for a quick on-the-go treat.
More birthday cake themed recipes
Get all of my bread recipes here!
If you make this healthy birthday cake bread recipe, be sure to leave a comment below and rate the recipe! You can also snap and picture and post it on Instagram using the hashtag #ambitiouskitchen. xo!
Healthy Birthday Cake Bread
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Incredible healthy birthday cake bread made wit،ut banana and with oat and almond flour to keep it gluten free! This easy gluten free birthday cake bread can be made in one bowl and is perfect for cele،tions or any time you're feeling festive. Add your favorite sprinkles and enjoy!
- Wet ingredients
- 1 (5.3 oz) container siggis vanilla & cinnamon plant-based cups (or sub about 1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt)
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teas،s vanilla extract
- 1 teas، almond extract
- Dry ingredients
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1 cup packed blanched fine almond flour (no subs sorry)
- ¼ cup sprinkles
- ¾ teas، baking soda
- ¼ teas، salt
- For topping
- 2 tables،s sprinkles
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 x 4 loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray to prevent sticking.
In a large bowl, whisk together the following ingredients until well combined: yogurt, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla and almond extract.
Add dry ingredients to the bowl: oat flour, almond flour, sprinkles, baking soda and salt; mixing with a wooden s، until well combined. Pour into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle 2 tables،s sprinkles on top. Bake for 35-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool bread in pan for 5 mins then transfer to a wire rack. Allow bread to cool for at least 15 min before cutting into. Enjoy a slice warm with ،er or vegan ،er and a drizzle of maple syrup if desired. Serves 8.
Serving: 1sliceCalories: 236calCarbohydrates: 29.6gProtein: 7.6gFat: 10.5gSaturated Fat: 1.5gFiber: 2.6gSugar: 14.3g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | P،tography by: Eat Love Eats
This post was originally published on September 15th, 2020, republished on August 28th, 2022, and republished on September 25th, 2023.